Bulli pest behind bars after graffiti attack

A serial graffiti pest and gang leader who police say left some Bulli residents living in fear will remain behind bars after pleading guilty to a string of crimes.

Hayden Kiefer, 19, was arrested last month for vandalising Corrimal Railway Station and exposing himself in public only hours after he was released on strict court bail for assaulting a driver at Thirroul and threatening a man who witnessed it.

He was remanded in custody over the Christmas period, appearing in Wollongong Local Court again on Wednesday, where he formally entered guilty pleas to both sets of matters, as well as a third set of charges relating to graffiti activity last August.

Police documents outlining Kiefer's crimes reveal officers considered the Thirroul teen a habitual offender who showed "no intention of stopping his criminal activity".

They also revealed residents in at least one Bulli street lived in constant fear of Kiefer and his "gang", who called themselves the Reckless Thoughts Crew (RTC), and feared reprisals if they reported matters to police.

The documents said Kiefer had been known to police through his links to the gang Show No Mercy (SNM or SNEM) before moving to Griffith for six months at the beginning of 2013.

Officers said when he left the area, they saw a "noticeable drop" in graffiti crime, however it picked up again when he returned in August.

Police monitored Kiefer's Facebook pages, where he would often post status updates about going to the "blue line", a reference to the South Coast train line.

Between August 7 and August 15, police recorded Kiefer's tags - SKOPE, PLUS and RTC - scrawled across buildings, bridges, train carriages and brick walls at multiple locations around Bulli and Thirroul.

During one act of vandalism, Kiefer wrote "stay out of Bulli, locals only" in white paint across a fence in Blackbutt Place.

Police attempted to locate Kiefer at the time but were unable to find him.

However, in November last year, two men saw Kiefer reach through an open car window and repeatedly punch a driver sitting at traffic lights in Thirroul. Kiefer then assaulted a witness.

The following month Kiefer threatened the same witness's older brother, telling him to tell his sibling to "get rid of his statement at the police station" or the two of them would be harmed.

Kiefer was arrested the same day but was released on bail.

Just hours later he vandalised Corrimal Railway Station and exposed himself to the CCTV camera.

He was rearrested immediately and remanded in custody.

He is due to face court for sentencing on all matters on January 29.

Graffiti tagging on Bulli Bridge.

Graffiti tagging on Bulli Bridge.