Williams steps in for wounded Witt


A disconsolate Michael Witt is taken off the field at ANZ Stadium yesterday. Picture: CHRISTOPHER CHAN

A disconsolate Michael Witt is taken off the field at ANZ Stadium yesterday. Picture: CHRISTOPHER CHAN

He was shunned for the opening round but Sam Williams is about to be parachuted straight into St George Illawarra's No 7 jersey after Michael Witt dislocated his shoulder.

Eerily predicting Williams would get his chance sooner rather than later prior to his return from the NRL wilderness, Witt's prophecy might be spot on after the journeyman sat out the final 25 minutes of Sunday's mauling.

The Dragons were cautious about saying how long Witt would be sidelined for but it appears long odds he will be on the plane to take on his former club New Zealand Warriors this Saturday.

"He's got a bit of a shoulder injury so we'll send him for scans," Dragons coach Steve Price said.

It was the only blight on a glimpse of what Witt and Widdop could bring to the Dragons as they combined with good effect in the seven tries-to-four caning.

Their best moment was when Widdop crabbed across field before piercing the Tigers line and set Witt on a short dart to the line.

The next time they combined in the Tigers' red zone, the halfback crashed to the turf after he contested a Widdop bomb.

It was the only blight on a confidence-boosting outing for the Dragons, who were rewarded for nursing Kyle Stanley and Gerard Beale back from their respective knee reconstructions.

Stanley was sharp out of dummy-half after he replaced Witt while Beale steamed onto a Widdop offering late in the first half to help the Dragons claw back a 12-point deficit.

"To come back from what he has over a number of years I was really proud of the guy," Price said when asked about Stanley.

"To see a smile on his face after the game in the dressing shed brings a lot of happiness to me."

Jack de Belin was the other major concern ; he suffered a severe cork and taking no part in the match after the first 20 minutes.

"That's going to be a couple of days [to reduce swelling] so it will be a [little while] before we find out if they're on the plane or not," Price said.


Discuss "Williams steps in for wounded Witt"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.