Police contend with flashers, car chases at long weekend

A teenage flasher, a car travelling the wrong way on the Windang bridge, and two police pursuits were some of the incidents Illawarra traffic police were forced to deal with during the Easter long weekend.

About midday on Saturday, police saw a ute travelling along Cabbage Tree Lane with three men in the tray before it turned into a driveway.

The 19-year-old driver of the vehicle was breath-tested, and allegedly returned a mid-range reading of 0.108. The three men, also 19, travelling in the back of the ute were fined. However, as police were leaving they witnessed one of the men expose himself. He received an additional fine for offensive behaviour.

Just after 7am on Saturday, a Sydney man believed to be aged in his fifties was intercepted by police while he was travelling in the wrong lane north across the Windang Bridge. He was breath-tested and allegedly returned a mid-range blood alcohol reading.

File picture.

File picture.

Meantime, a 33-year-old man riding a motorbike has been charged following a police pursuit from Flinders to Albion Park about 3.35pm Friday. The man, from Albion Park, was charged with police pursuit (Skye's Law), and speeding.

He is due to appear in Albion Park Local Court in June.

His licence was suspended and his motorcycle confiscated.

A second police pursuit happened at Nowra about 9.40pm on Saturday.

Police were patrolling Clipper Road when they observed a car allegedly involved in an earlier failure to pay for fuel at a South Nowra Service Station.

Police pursued after the vehicle was allegedly being driven dangerously in Gascoyne Way, Nowra. The pursuit continued through streets, until the vehicle then turned south on to the Princes Highway where the driver allegedly travelled at an estimated speed of 130km/h in a 70km/h zone and 165km/h in a 100km/h zone.

The vehicle then turned into the driveway of a rural property on the Princes Highway, Falls Creek, where three of the young male occupants including the driver were arrested. A fourth male teenager escaped on foot.

The 17-year-old alleged driver from Port Kembla was arrested and taken to Nowra Police Station where he underwent a breath analysis which allegedly returned a reading of 0.047. He was charged with a number of offences.

Lake Illawarra highway patrol Sergeant Kevin Hood said it was concerning that motorists continued to behave poorly on the region's roads, despite police warnings.

"In that regard certainly we still have some stupid behaviour," he said.

NSW Police's Easter weekend traffic blitz, Operation Tortoise, finishes at 11.59pm Monday night.