Drug user reports on bail with a pocketful of crystal meth

A calculated risk or a case of the forgetfuls?

Whichever way you look at Jovan Skorupan’s most recent crime, you’d be forgiven for thinking his brain may have taken the day off when he wandered into Wollongong Police Station on Wednesday to report on bail –  while carrying a pocketful of drugs.

Skorupan, 46, had been released on bail on separate charges about  three months ago so he could undergo a court-ordered drug treatment program.

He was in his 10th week of 13 in the program – and apparently doing  well, according to his lawyer – when he was caught with $150 worth of crystal meth.

Skorupan, who also goes by the name Jovan John Daniels, pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing a prohibited drug when he came before Wollongong Local Court on Thursday, but sought to be re-released on bail so he could continue in the treatment program.

Police documents said Skorupan came to police attention on Wednesday after he was identified as the alleged culprit in the theft of a mountain bike that  day.

CCTV footage showed Skorupan looking at the bike, resting unsecured against the wall near the entry doors to Westfield Figtree, about 10.10am, the court was told.

Police allege Skorupan entered the complex but came back out moments later with a black hoodie over his head, jumped on the bike and rode off in a northerly direction.

The bike’s owner soon discovered the theft and reported it to security, who notified police.

Police allegedly recognised Skorupan when they viewed CCTV footage a few hours later.

Skorupan was nabbed when he arrived at the police station to report just after 7pm, with police discovering the drugs during a subsequent search.

Skorupan told officers the drug was crystal meth and was for personal use, however, when asked about the bike theft, he allegedly claimed a mate had had the same bike stolen previously and he was simply ‘‘stealing it back’’ because he was ‘‘99per cent sure...it was his’’.

However, when pressed for details on the identity of the friend, Skorupan was not forthcoming, police said.

In court on Thursday, Skorupan did not enter a plea to a charge of larceny stemming from the allegation.

Magistrate Michael Stoddart ordered Skorupan to remain behind bars, noting the strong prosecution case against him and his long criminal record, which included matters of theft and dishonesty.

The case will return to court next month.