Woman 'took police on wild car chase'

Jody Jonceski was barred from driving until at least 2016 and had already been before the courts twice in the past 18 months for drink-driving.

But that didn't stop the Cordeaux Heights woman, intoxicated from an evening of drinking, getting behind the wheel of a Holden Commodore at the weekend and taking highway patrol officers on a lengthy chase through several Wollongong suburbs, police allege.

Jonceski, 34, appeared in Wollongong Local Court on Monday on a string of charges stemming from allegations she drove drunk and at times erratically and at speed, from Port Kembla to Farmborough Heights in the early hours of Sunday morning.

She did not enter pleas to the charges, which include dangerous driving and police pursuit offences, but sought release on bail while the matter was before the court.

Her lawyer, Legal Aid's Jonathan Kearney, said Jonceski's mother had agreed to deposit $1000 with the court to ensure her daughter turned up to future court dates and obeyed any bail conditions.

But the proposition was not enough to sway Magistrate Michael Stoddart, who refused to release Jonceski from custody owing to her previous convictions for similar offences.

Police documents tendered during the bail application said officers noticed Jonceski driving along Allan Street in Port Kembla at 1.57am and attempted to pull her over for a random breath test.

Police will allege that Jonceski ignored the car's lights and sirens and instead sped off along Wentworth Street, turned into Church Street and drove towards Shellharbour Road.

The documents allege police followed Jonceski into and out of the suburb of Primbee, before heading along Northcliffe Drive towards Unanderra.

It is alleged Jonceski lost control of the car twice during the alleged pursuit, causing it to spin, crossed to the incorrect side of the road multiple times and reached speeds of up to 120km/h in residential areas.

She was arrested after dumping the car at the Waples Road hockey centre at Farmborough Heights and trying to flee on foot.

Police allege Jonceski had almost double the legal alcohol limit at the time.

The case will return to court next week.