Olympic sound warning to Premier League rivals


WOLLONGONG Olympic coach Wayne Farnsworth wanted his side to prove they were the real deal in Saturday's stoush with Port Kembla and they didn't disappoint.

Olympic thrashed the defending premiers 5-0 at Wetherall Park in a win that is sure to send alarm bells ringing around the Illawarra Premier League.

Kyle Hazebroek and Nathan Minutillo both bagged doubles as Olympic moved into outright second on the ladder behind Dapto Dandaloo.

Farnsworth said it proved his squad could be a contender in the premiership race this season.

"We spoke on Tuesday and I said to them 'let's see if we are pretenders or contenders'. That was our challenge to see where we were at because they don't come much better than them," Farnsworth said.

"It was a great challenge to see where we were, but it's history now.

"The win will do no end of good as far as confidence is concerned."

Hazebroek opened the scoring in the first half with a header after Javier Ovando skinned in his man on the left side of attack to whip in a dangerous cross.

Soon after Justin Potter doubled the lead with a left foot bomb from well outside the area which left Port keeper David Poeira with little hope.

Leading 2-0 at the half, Farnsworth brought on Minutillo in the second stanza and it proved to be a masterstroke.

The attacker scored twice after coming on before Hazebroek added his second with the clock winding down to seal the emphatic victory.

"We were relentless pressing them. We pressed, we got behind the ball well and we really didn't give them a sniff," Farnsworth said.

"They probably had the best of the 10 minutes and that was probably it.

"It was a committed effort."

The win was Olympic's third straight victory after successive triumphs over Albion Park and Cringila Lions.

In other matches on Saturday, a Ben McDonald brace helped Bulli to a 3-1 win over Bellambi, while Vaughan Patterson missed a penalty in the final minute to deny Tarrawanna three points in a 2-2 draw with Wollongong United.

On Friday night, Cringila defeated Fernhill 2-1.