Furious Dapto takeout Sharks

Sam Munro works hard for Dapto Dandaloo Fury in the 3-0 win over Woonona. Picture: ADAM McLEAN
Sam Munro works hard for Dapto Dandaloo Fury in the 3-0 win over Woonona. Picture: ADAM McLEAN


Dapto-Dandaloo bounced back from their first loss of the season with a 3-0 triumph over Woonona on Sunday.

The Fury went down 1-0 to South Coast United on Thursday night to end their unbeaten start but were back to their best at Dandaloo Sports Ground.

Coach Norm Boardman was pleased with the quick response from his squad.

"The good thing about it is that it was a short turnaround," Boardman said.

"We didn't get to have a training session but the boys got to go home and think about [the loss].

"It was a good way to bounce back and no goals against us was the key."

Boardman had to wait until the second half to see his squad take the lead after both teams finished scoreless in a hard-fought first half.

Shaun McRae came closest before the break but was denied by a fantastic last-ditch tackle from Chris Gibson.

The Fury didn't have to wait long upon the resumption though as Alvin Ceccoli scored his fifth of the campaign.

The former Sydney FC defender cheekily took a quick free kick and found Sharks custodian Paul Bitz off guard to open the scoring.

They then looked to have doubled their advantage with half an hour remaining when a David Hartas thunderbolt from 30-yards found the net.

But the midfielder's strike was ruled out because of a man in an offside position. Almost cruelly, straight after the decision, Woonona raced up the other end and scored when Pat Morales found the crossbar.

The Sharks continued to press for the equaliser but were eventually caught on the counter.

Fury attacker Bradley Welch skinned his man on the flank and cut the ball back for Chris Bush to finish.

The Trinidad international then got one for himself after an impressive weaving run was highlighted by an even better finish past Bitz.

Dapto Dandaloo eventually held on to their 3-0 advantage to remain two points behind Bulli on the ladder with a game up their sleeve.

"They played a high pressing game and you can't sustain that for 90 minutes," Boardman said.

"We knew that at half-time, we said we just need to be patient. We had the lion's share of possession so if you are chasing the ball that much you are eventually going to get worn down.

"We knew the gaps would open up and they did."

Woonona coach Rob Bemi was lamenting the decision which led to his club's demise.

"We were in the game all the way up until the end and it was just that first goal, the way it was scored just killed us," Bemi said.

"The referee moving the wall back and they took it when he was moving the wall back.

"He told the players to play to the whistle and it just didn't happen.

"It took a bit of getting over for us."


Discuss "Furious Dapto takeout Sharks"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.