Illawarra stepdad gets 13 years for sex abuse

An Illawarra man has been jailed for 13 years for the "depraved" sexual abuse of his stepdaughter for almost a decade, which included fathering her two children when she was 20.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, began abusing the girl in 1974 when she was just eight years old, shortly after he started a relationship with her mother.

He repeatedly raped her, once with an item of food, and at one stage tried to get her to engage in sexual behaviour with the family dog.

When she objected to the abuse, the man threatened to tell her mother about their "relationship", and the girl later told police she had been scared of him.

Wollongong District Court presiding judge Paul Conlon handed the man an overall jail term of 13 years, with a non-parole period of nine years.

However, he lamented the fact that the law prevented him from lengthening the sentence, saying he instead had to give a jail term that reflected those handed out for such offences at the time they were committed, in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"I have attempted to impose penalties in accordance with the sentencing principle and law applicable to offences that have been committed many years ago," Judge Conlon said to the man.

"The result is you have received considerable leniency.

"If I take off my judge's hat, then it is difficult to view these sentences as being adequate punishment for the horrific crimes you have committed."

Judge Conlon described the man's ongoing abuse of the girl as "depraved", saying he subjugated her at every possible opportunity.

The court heard the man performed sexual acts on the girl, and made her pleasure him for about four years, until she reached the age of 12, when he began to rape her.

He forced himself on the victim about twice a week, while her mother was out of the house, until she turned 17 and moved out of the home.

The pair then saw each other sporadically, but each time would have sex.

In 1986, the then 20-year-old woman gave birth to twin boys after being impregnated by the man.

She finally reported the abuse to police in 2011.

During a secretly recorded conversation with the man, the woman asked him why he had abused her.

"Cause I was a dirty, filthy c--- who f---ed up ... I was under the impression you were into me ... and I sort, sort of loved you," he said.

The man will be eligible for release on parole in 2021.