Brothers charged after man smashed with bottle

The Harp Hotel in Wollongong.

The Harp Hotel in Wollongong.

Two brothers faced Wollongong bail court on Sunday over an ‘‘alcohol-fuelled’’ brawl in which a man was smashed in the head with a glass bottle and then stomped and kicked while on the ground.

Brothers Nathan Raymond Lamont, 24, and Shaun Anthony Lamont, 26, both of Albion Park Rail, faced bail court charged with affray over a brawl outside the Harp Hotel in Wollongong on Saturday night.

The brothers were in a group who were outside the hotel at 10pm when the two victims walked past, according to the police statement.

A group member made gestures at one of the victims, provoking a verbal and physical altercation between one of the victims and Shaun Lamont.

During the brawl, one of the victims punched Shaun Lamont in the head, causing him to lose balance.

As he regained his balance, Shaun Lamont allegedly smashed the victim in the head with a glass Coke bottle, knocking him to the footpath.

The police allege that, while the victim was on the ground, Nathan Lamont stomped on him and kicked him in the head.

During the brawl, Nathan Lamont also allegedly "heavily" punched the second victim in the back of the head.

The entire incident was captured on numerous CCTV cameras and involved numerous males who were yet to be identified.

Police officers were inside the Harp Hotel at the time and arrested the pair.

Their bail applications were heard separately in bail court on Sunday.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Anna Comer opposed bail for Nathan Lamont, stating there was "no bail condition that would protect the community from the accused" and noted that he was currently on bail for a similar offence.

Nathan Lamont's Legal Aid solicitor said he had never been charged with affray nor had he been sentenced to custody.

Also, as the case relied in part on CCTV footage, his solicitor argued he needed to be at liberty in order to see that footage and prepare his defence.

He would consent to a curfew and to a surety of up to $500.

In refusing bail for Nathan Lamont, registrar Peter Ritchie said the allegations of "alcohol-fuelled violence" were "very serious".

"These are exactly the types of matters that the courts and the legislature are trying to reduce," Mr Ritchie said.

He was also "deeply concerned" that someone could have been seriously harmed by the alleged actions.

Sgt Comer also opposed bail for Shaun Lamont, citing the danger to the community if he was released.

His Legal Aid solicitor said Shaun Lamont needed to be at liberty to work on his defence and, as he could not read or write, being in custody would place him "at a huge disadvantage".

Mr Ritchie granted Shaun Lamont bail under strict conditions he said amounted to a virtual "house arrest". These included living at Mt Warrigal with his girlfriend, reporting to police daily, a 9pm-7am curfew, not to drink alcohol or take unprescribed drugs and to stay away from the Wollongong CBD.

"They are necessarily harsh because I have to balance the community's expectation with your right to liberty," Mr Ritchie said.

He said Shaun Lamont did need to be at liberty to prepare his defence.

Nathan Lamont was refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court on Monday, while Shaun Lamont was bailed to appear at Port Kembla Court on July 9.