Bail for man accused of Coniston Hotel assault

An Albion Park Rail man accused of three violent attacks – including two where he allegedly stomped on his victims as they lay helpless on the ground – has been granted bail.

Police allege Mark Christopher Dutton was involved in a series of violent assaults from March this year, one in which he punched a woman in the face before kicking and stomping on her husband’s head as his mates held the man on the ground.

The alleged attack took place outside Coniston Hotel in the early hours of March 8, and was followed by two similar incidents on May 3 and May 16.

The 24-year-old appeared before Port Kembla Local Court on Tuesday charged with several assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray offences.

He is yet to enter a plea.

According to facts tendered to court, Dutton was with a group of mates when they struck up a conversation with a man at Unanderra train station about 7.45pm on May 3

Within minutes a mate became aggressive towards the man and allegedly punched him in the face.

Police allege Dutton immediately followed suit and punched the man to the right eye, before the group left.

The men were captured on CCTV mimicking the assault and laughing about it as they walked away, the facts said.

The victim was taken to Wollongong Hospital suffering a fractured left cheek bone and fractured jaw. He needed metal plates inserted into his face as a result of the attack.

The court heard Dutton allegedly involved himself in a third altercation at Wollongong train station less than two weeks later when a female friend was arguing with another woman.

Police allege Dutton's female friend had punched the woman a number of times before he ran from the western side of the station and pushed the woman from behind.

After she hit the pavement he "violently and forcefully stomps on the back of the victim as she lies on the ground", the facts said.

Opposing Dutton's application for bail, prosecuting sergeant Amelia Wall said the acts "paint a disturbing picture of violence", noting there were similarities to the attacks.

However, defence lawyer Matthew Barnes noted Dutton had no convictions for violent offences since 2009 and had handed himself into police when he heard there was a warrant out for his arrest.

Magistrate Michael Stoddart released Dutton on strict conditional bail with $500 surety.

He placed him on a curfew between 8pm and 6am and ordered him to report to police twice a week.