Teen accused turns on tears when bail refused

A Koonawarra teenager will stay behind bars amid allegations he tried to rob a man at knifepoint in the early hours of Monday morning.

Mason Evans broke down in tears as Port Kembla Local Court magistrate Mark Richardson denied his application for bail on Tuesday, citing the high risk of him committing further offences if released.

Evans, 19, is accused of brandishing a knife at the man and his friend and demanding one hand over his wallet near the Dapto Leagues Club just before 1.30am on Monday.

Police documents presented to the court said the alleged victim had left the club shortly before the incident and walked to Dapto train station to meet a friend.

Evans, who was standing outside the club near the courtesy bus when the man left, tried to strike up a conversation with him. however, the man was suspicious and moved on.

Police allege Evans approached the two men as they were walking back towards the club, telling them he wanted to show them something, before demanding a wallet.

The pair said Evans then pulled out a 20-centimetre silver knife from his pocket and moved towards them.

The duo ran to the leagues club and alerted security, who called police.

Officers arrived a short time later and interviewed the men, who gave descriptions of the would-be robber.

Police also seized CCTV footage from the club.

Evans was arrested a short time later at an address in Koonawarra.

Police seized a knife from the home that they will allege was the one used in the attempted robbery.

During an interview with police, Evans admitted he'd been at the club but denied trying to rob the two men, or being in possession of a knife.

In court on Tuesday, Evans's lawyer, Adam Barnes, said his client's parents were both ill and required their son's help on a day-to-day basis.

He said Evans was willing to report to police daily and abide by a curfew.

Police opposed the application, saying Evans presented an unacceptable risk to the safety of the community.

Other arguments put forward to support the police's position cannot be published for legal reasons.

Mr Richardson denied bail, citing the seriousness of the allegations. The matter will return to court on August 27.