Driver repeatedly rams into brother's car in Warilla: police

An unlicensed, drug-affected driver has faced court on a string of charges after he allegedly used his girlfriend's car to go on a mini rampage at a block of units at Warilla early on Friday morning.

Police are alleging that Matthew Jake Bill was badly affected by drugs when he repeatedly rammed her car into a vehicle owned by his brother then used a metal pole to smash other cars nearby.

Several witnesses told police Bill and his partner had had a heated argument moments before he got behind the wheel of the Hyundai coupe and drove it at speed into his brother's car.

It is alleged he also drove the car into the wall of the unit block.

According to police, Bill allegedly pulled a letter box out of the ground nearby and used the metal pole to further damage his brother's car.

He also allegedly used it to damage another two cars parked at the unit block.

Witnesses contacted police, who arrived a short time later.

As they attempted to arrest Bill, police told the court, he tried to use the car to escape and clipped a female police officer in the process.

He was pulled from the car after it had stalled.

Officers tried to subdue him with capsicum spray but it had little effect, police documents tended to the court revealed.

Bill was eventually handcuffed and placed in the back of a police paddy wagon before he was taken to Lake Illawarra police station.

There he was charged with 11 offences including affray, dangerous driving, resisting police and property damage.

He did not enter any pleas to the charges when he appeared in court on Friday afternoon.

However, he attributed his actions to being high on "xannies".

He sought release on bail, saying that he could report to police daily and live with his partner.

However, magistrate Michael Stoddart refused.

He said he wasn't confident that the 20-year-old wouldn't commit more offences if he was to be released on bail.

"These are extraordinary allegations; they're very serious matters," magistrate Stoddart said.

The case will return to court next month.