More than 500 people saw Wollongong IT firm Internetrix named Illawarra Business of the Year at the 2015 Momentum Energy Illawarra Business Awards on Friday night.
Other major awards went to John Lamont, of NowChem, who was named business leader.
Symbio Wildlife Park general manager Matt Radnidge celebrated his engagement to Kylie Elliott by taking out the Young Business Executive award, and Young Entrepreneur winners were Adam Sturt, of Hotondo South Coast, and Melissa Abu-Gazaleh, of Top Blokes.
Internetrix took out the major award after receiving the Export Growth China Excellence in Export Award earlier in the evening.
Illawarra Business Chamber chief executive Debra Murphy said what Daniel Rowan and the team had achieved during the past 12 months was fantastic for the region.
“Internetrix has placed the Illawarra firmly on the world map, and they’re leading the way for other Illawarra businesses to follow into export markets,’’ Ms Murphy said.
REMONDIS Illawarra was named winner of the University of Wollongong Excellence in Business Award for its impressive results over the past year.
“The judges were particularly impressed by REMONDIS Illawarra’s new client acquisitions, profitability growth and safety record,’’ Ms Murphy said.
Andrew Webb Family & Business Accounting followed on from its success in 2014 with the Illawarra Mercury Excellence in Small Business Award in 2015.
Since starting in 2013, the company has experienced massive growth and now boasts more than 500 clients.
Ms Murphy said the alignment of the Illawarra and NSW Business Awards meant that 11 of the 15 Illawarra category winners would now progress as finalists onto the NSW Business Chamber’s annual business awards in November.
“This provides our regional winners with state-wide recognition and promotion,’’ she said.
“The line-up of finalists and winners showcased the strength, diversity and quality of businesses from across the Illawarra.”
Other winners were Lisa Burling’s LBPR, Flagstaff Group, Stormtech, Dapto Leagues Club, Shaz Harrison-Shaw’s Need a Feed, Microsolve, Barrington Homes and Southern Highlands ChamberofCommerce and Industry.
Highly Commendeds went to Lauren Gale, of Top Blokes, Helen Duckham’s Pipduck Australia, Highlands Drive Safe and the Novotel.
More pictures will be posted in a gallery of all awards winners and after party online on Saturday morning.
- Business of the Year - Internetrix
- Excellence in Business - REMONDIS Illawarra
- Excellence in Small Business – Andrew Webb Family & Business Accounting.
- Business Leader – John Lamont, NowChem.
- Young Business Executive - winner Matthew Radnidge, Symbio Wildlife Park. Highly Commended Lauren Gale, Top Blokes Foundation.
- Outstanding New Business – LBPR
- See your ad here
- Young Entrepreneur joint winners – Adam Sturt, Hotondo South Coast, and Melissa Abu-Gazaleh, Top Blokes.
- Employer of Choice – Flagstaff Group.
- Excellence in Innovation - Stormtech.
- Excellence in Export – winner Internetrix , highly commended Pipduck Australia.
- Excellence in Sustainability - Dapto Leagues Club.
- Excellence in Business Ethics – Need a Feed.
- Excellence in Age-Friendly Business – Microsolve.
- Excellence in Customer Service – winner Barrington Homes. Highly commended Highlands Drive Safe and Novotel Wollongong Northbeach.
- Local Chamber of Commerce – Southern Highlands Chamber of Commerce.
2015 award sponsors
Momentum Energy, University of Wollongong, Illawarra Mercury, Access Law Group, IMB Bank, Illawarra Credit Union, BlueScope, Telstra Business Centre, Wollongong City Council, Export Growth China, TAFE Illawarra Excellence, NSW Government, IRT Foundation, Peoplecare, Shellharbour City Council.