Ambulance paramedics have rushed to the aid of a 47-year-old Barrack Heights man whose body caught on fire at Kembla Grange on Monday evening.
A burnt out shell showed where the man’s car combusted beside Wyllie Road about 6pm, causing burns to his face, neck, arms and legs.
He ran down the road still smouldering and sought help at West Dapto Road business Dapto Sands & Supersoils.
NSW Ambulance Illawarra district officer Inspector Terry Morrow said people at the business gave the man what he needed most by immediately watering him down with a hose.
‘’I would like to commend them,” he said.
A rescue chopper landed at the top of Wyllie Road about 6.30pm.
The man was transported to Royal North Shore Hospital in a stable condition, suffering second-degree burns to 35 per cent of his body.
The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.