Jye McWatters' best friend charged over alleged threats to kill police

The best friend of murder victim Jye McWatters appeared in Wollongong Bail Court on Sunday over charges of assault and threatening police.

Jordyn Clulow, 19, of Warrawong, was refused bail on Sunday over an alleged incident at his family’s home.

According to police facts tendered to the court, police were called to the home by his mother in the early hours of Sunday morning after the pair had an argument.

On arrival, police spoke to Clulow’s mother, who allegedly said he was under the affect of alcohol or drugs and could not be reasoned with.

She also said he was “argumentative and paranoid about police doing bail checks on him”.

When talking to Clulow, police allege he said to them “...if I had my dog here I would sick it onto you” and also threatened to “bomb NSW”.

Clulow’s brother then entered the house and, a short time later, police allege they saw Clulow punch him in the face.

Police then arrested Clulow, who threatened to get a gang to “get you and your family”.

At Lake Illawarra police station the facts allege Clulow told another officer that a gang “was going to kill you”.

In court on Sunday, police prosecutor Sgt Ryan opposed bail, stating, that “these are serious allegations in regards to the threats made to police”.

Clulow’s Legal Aid solicitor said he had an issue with alcohol and had been drinking to cope with the death of his “best friend” Mr McWatters, who died of a gunshot wound on Boxing Day last year.

He was drinking because of the “pressure brought to bear as a result of that loss”, his solicitor said.

Through his solicitor, Clulow also claimed his brother had hit him first and he was defending himself.

His solicitor said he had no recollection of saying anything threatening to the police. 

Registrar Darcy said Clulow had 10 other matters before the courts and was already on three bails.

The registrar said she did not think another series of bail conditions would make much difference.

She refused Clulow bail and remanded him to appear before Wollongong Local Court on February 1.