Two women have escaped unharmed a fire that destroyed a classic Kombi on Mount Ousley Road, Saturday afternoon.
The van’s driver pulled into a rest stop at the top of the mountain about 3.10pm after a passing motorist attracted her attention.
“They told me it was on fire,” the woman, who did not want to be identified, told the Mercury.
“There was smoke and then it progressively got bigger … it was probably 10 minutes before it was completely [in flames].”
The driver said her passenger was heading to a wedding when the fire broke out.
Three crews from Mount Keira RFS arrived to find the 1976 classic well alight, with its once-immaculate blue paint job turned black.
Deputy Captain Philip Robertson said crews fought the blaze with water at first, before the van’s underbelly suddenly combusted.
“The fuel tank split open,” he said.
“That’s when we had to put a blanket of foam underneath to smother the petrol.”
The fire occurred in a stop near Clive Bissell Drive. It spread to a small amount of grass on the roadside before it was contained.
LiveTraffic reports indicated the blaze caused a lane closure however the Mercury found traffic unaffected.
Originally published as Kombi catches alight on Mount Ousley Road by Illawarra Mercury.