How did they survive this? Teens lucky to walk away from Sea Cliff Bridge crash

Two teenagers have walked away relatively unscathed after their car crashed through two barriers on Sea Cliff Bridge and hurtled towards the cliff’s edge.

Remarkably the young men somehow managed to wrangle free from their mangled Toyota Hilux utility which came to an abrupt stop perilously close to the ocean below.

And then in the pitch of darkness on Saturday night they scrambled up heavy shrubery to safety almost 100 metres above.

Police and emergency services arrived at the scene about 12.30am on Saturday.

The driver, a 17-year-old P1 license holder suffered a wrist injury, while the 18-year-old passenger suffered minor injuries.

The pair were taken to Wollongong Hospital but were released early Saturday morning.

Wollongong Police have confirmed speed was a factor. It is believed the vehicle, travelling north on Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Clifton, crashed through a guard rail and fence, rolled multiple times and travelled more than 50 metres through shrub.

Acting Inspector Charlie Hutchins said there was enough evidence to suggest speed was a factor in the crash.

‘’Investigations are still ongoing and we are looking to track down some witnesses, but there is enough evidence there to suggest speed was a factor,’’ Insp Hutchins said.

‘’It seems the car was definitely going quick. They are very lucky to have walked away with what are minor injuries really.’’

He said the car, located just inches short off the cliff’s edge, would need to be removed from the scene by heavy-lift equipment in daylight hours.

This responsibility falls on car’s owner and his insurance company.

‘’RMS hasn’t indicated that they will do it any time soon but there’s a possibility it will be removed next weekend,’’ Insp Hutchins said.

Both the driver and passenger are from the Sutherland Shire.

The Mercury spoke to the pair’s ‘’good friend’’ Josh Farrell, who rushed to the scene of the crash on Saturday morning.

The 18-year-old said his mates were very lucky to be alive.

‘’Coming here and seeing this I wouldn’t expect someone to be alive or even paralysed,’’ Mr Farrell said.

‘’I'm happy my best mates are still alive. One has gotten a broken hand and that's it.’’

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page.