Coolangatta Estate has finished the 2016 Wine Show Season in fine fashion with the 2005 Coolangatta Estate Semillon winning the Trophy for Semillon of the Year at the 2016 Winestate Wine of the Year Awards. The recognition is significant given awards more than 10,000 wines are entered from across Australia and New Zealand. Coolangatta Estate vigneron Greg Bishop was present to collect the trophy in Adelaide. The latest win come just weeks after another big win at the Sydney International Wine Show where the 2009 Wollstonecraft Semillon has won three trophies including the Joy Lake Memorial Perpetual Trophy for Best Wine of Competition. Mr Bishop said this year the Shoalhaven Heads vineyard has won 196 awards including 14 trophies and 22 gold medals.
The semillon continues to be a star but other varieties such as tannat, verdelho and chardonnay are also winning significant awards.
The Estate has now won over 1800 wine awards including 168 trophies for its wines since its first vintage in 1990.
“These results continue to show that this region cannot be overlooked as a high quality wine producing region,” cellar door managed Ben Wallis said.
“Greg’s belief as to why it can be so successful comes down to some simple reasons. The combination of a great site, selecting the right varieties to grow, putting the hours in the vineyard over the season and having one of the best winemaking teams in the country (Tyrrells making our wines).“
2016 Coolangatta Estate trophy winners
2009 Coolangatta Estate Wollstonecraft Semillon
- Trophy 2017 Sydney International Wine Competition - JOY LAKE MEMORIAL CHAMPIONSHIP PERPETUAL TROPHY “Best Wine of Competition”
- Trophy 2017 Sydney International Wine Competition -THE WINE SOCIETY (AUSTRALIA) PERPETUAL TROPHY “Best White Wine of Competition”
- Trophy 2017 Sydney International Wine Competition -ERNIE HUNTER MEMORIAL PERPETUAL TROPHY“ Best Lighter Bodied Dry White Table Wine of Competition”
- Trophy 2016 NSW Small Winemakers Show – Best White Wine of Show
- Trophy 2016 NSW Small Winemakers Show – Best Semillon
- Trophy 2016 Australian National Single Vineyard Wine Show – Best Single Vineyard Semillon
2005 Coolangatta Estate Semillon
- Trophy 2016 Winestate Magazine Semillon ‘Wine of the Year’
2015 Coolangatta Estate Semillon
- Trophy 2016 Winewise Small Vigneron Awards – Len Sorbello Trophy Best 2016, 2015 Semillon
- Trophy 2016 Winewise Small Vigneron Awards – Best Semillon
- Trophy 2016 Boutique Wine Awards – Best Semillon
2014 Coolangatta Estate Tannat
- Trophy 2016 South Coast Wine Show – Best Red Wine of Show
2006 Coolangatta Estate Semillon
- Trophy 2016 South Coast Wine Show – Best Wine of Show
- Trophy 2016 South Coast Wine Show – Best White Wine
- Trophy 2016 South Coast Wine Show – Best Wine made with Grapes Grown in the Shoalhaven Coast