Warrawong hammer attack accused refused court bail

Supporters of a woman allegedly struck in the head with a hammer at a Warrawong unit block have voiced their thanks to a magistrate who refused to release her accused attacker on bail.

Alex Parnell, 27, is accused of hitting the 24-year-old with the implement during a heated argument inside their Northcliffe Drive home on Sunday evening.

Police arrived to find the woman lying on the grass at the front of the complex suffering multiple head injuries.

They were told a neighbour of the pair had heard them yelling and screaming at each other for most of the day, however became concerned when the woman allegedly began yelling for help and went to investigate.

When she answered his knock at the door, the man allegedly saw Parnell holding onto a hammer, prompting him to pull the woman outside in a bid to protect her.

He said she began shaking and vomiting while lying on the grass and was falling in and out of consciousness.

She was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to Wollongong Hospital, where she allegedly told police she couldn’t remember anything that happened.

However, police will allege once they left, the woman told her grandmother that Parnell had hit her in the head with a hammer. 

The grandmother passed the information on to police.

Meantime, Parnell locked himself in the house and refused to come out, prompting police to block off part of the street.

Parnell was eventually arrested without incident.

Police discovered blood droplets throughout the house.

They also found two large rocks, a plank of wood, shopping trolley and a bed sheet that appeared to have been set on fire inside the home, which are believed to have been thrown inside by angry neighbours who had learned of the alleged assault.

In court on Monday, Parnell’s lawyer said he would agree to abide by any conditions if released on bail.

Police opposed Parnell’s release, noting he was on parole for similar domestic violence offences.

Magistrate Michael Stoddart refused bail, earning a cheer and multiple ‘thank yous’ from friends of the victim who had turned up to court to witness proceedings.

One of the supporters had earlier interrupted the case saying she had photos of the woman’s injuries and described them as “horrendous”.

Parnell will reappear in court on February 23.