This chicken dish is perfect for your next dinner party or to feed a hungry family as you can cook as little as 1 or as many as 20 chicken pieces in one go, simply and easily (provided your oven is big enough!).
The key to making this dish a real cracker is to ensure you cook the chicken for long enough to get the skin nice and crispy. The coconut oil and spice rub make the skin the best part of this dish, and provided you source organic, pasture fed chicken then you can be sure that you are getting good quality fat from the skin which will keep you satisfied for ages.
I like to make this dish with chicken thigh cutlets with the bone in, as this cut provides the perfect crispy skin finish whilst keeping a lovely moist and tender meat underneath. This recipe can be made with drumsticks or wings as well (just reduce cook time to 30 minutes for wings and 35-40 minutes for drumsticks.
Serve with Cauliflower Cous Cous, and a Tangy Green Salad, with a slice of lemon and spiced yoghurt. Delish!
4 chicken thigh cutlets (with bone in and skin on)
1-2tbsp coconut oil
2 lemons, sliced
1 bulb garlic
Moroccan Spice Mix:
2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp of ground cinnamon
½ tsp of mild paprika
¼ tsp ground all spice
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a large baking tray or shallow oven proof dish with baking paper or alfoil to save on washing up later.
1. To make the spice seasoning, mix all spices together in a small bowl and toss to combine well.
2. Line the baking tray with thin slices of lemon to make a bed for the chicken pieces to rest on.
3. In another shallow bowl, add chicken thighs (or drumsticks) and pour the melted coconut oil over the top of the chicken, then sprinkle with seasoning, and using your hands, massage the oil and spices into the skin of the chicken.
4. Place spiced chicken pieces over the top of the lemon in the tray/dish, and cut the garlic bulb in half and place randomly between chicken pieces for extra flavouring.
5. Pop the chicken in the oven for 35-45 minutes (until cooked through and slightly crispy on the outside). The cook time will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
For more whole food inspired recipes visit www.lifewellnessco.com.