Junior Chamber International’s Illawarra chapter is launching an initiative to make the region a more sustainable place to live, visit and do business.
The Let's Do It Project has been developed to bring together the local business community with organisations already championing sustainability and waste issues in the region.
JCI Illawarra’s Kevin McDonald said the goal was to bridge the gap and make the Illawarra more sustainable.
Mr McDonald said Junior Chamber International (JCI) enjoyed a long partnership with the United Nations. As a result JCI Illawarra was always focused on achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
He said JCI Illawarra was partnering with several organisations as part of the 10th Annual World Clean Up Day to tackle four UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Supporting Green Connect to address Goal 11 - Sustainable Cities and Communities.
- Supporting Plastic Free Wollongong and Boomerang Alliance to address Goal 12 – Responsible Production and Consumption.
- Supporting Surfrider Foundation to address Goal 15 - Life Below Water.
- Supporting Intrepid Landcare to address Goal 16 – Life on Land.
“Each business will be able to choose the organisation and UN SDG they would like to support through fundraising and promotion,” Mr McDonald,” said.
“Your business will be promoted through JCI Illawarra and your partnering organisation as official supporters of this project.
You will be encouraged to speak with leaders and members of these organisations and on the day representatives from your business will work alongside your partnered organisation to clean up areas from Fairy Meadow to Wollongong Harbour.”
Mr McDonald said those who would like to become involved should:
- SELECT one of our four sustainability focused organisations to support.
- Use their businesses social media to PROMOTE the support for their chosen organisation in the lead up to and on World Clean Up Day.
- COMMIT at least two representatives from their business to participate in the day.
- DONATE to their organisation either as a major sponsor for $500 or $200 to support their sustainably focused organisation.
- OPTIONAL – Raise funds from staff and business contacts.