Luke Frost refused bail over alleged road rampage at Towradgi

A teenage driver who allegedly hit two cars at Towradgi on Tuesday evening before trying to flee the scene is a disqualified L-plater with a shocking history of disobeying road rules, a court has heard.

Convicted criminal Luke Andrew Frost, 19, already had two disqualified driving charges pending before the court when his Holden Commodore allegedly ploughed into two vehicles in separate, peak-hour crashes within minutes of each other.

He allegedly tried to run from the scene but was chased down by a witness, who pursued him from the Memorial Drive/Towradgi Road intersection to nearby Carr Street before others came to thew Good Samaritan’s aid and helped detain Frost.

It is alleged Frost told the witness he had a knife and threatened to stab him during the foot chase.

Police facts sheets tendered to Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday said the incident capped off a busy 48 hours for Frost, who had allegedly been involved in a pursuit with police two days earlier that became so dangerous officers were forced to terminate in the interests of public safety.

The documents said police were patrolling Balgownie Road on Sunday when they spotted Frost behind the wheel.

Knowing he was disqualified from driving, officers tried to pull Frost over however he allegedly accelerated away, leading them on a high-speed chase along suburban streets before allegedly running a red light, prompting police to abandon the chase.

However, officers followed up with the vehicle’s registered owner following day, who told police he’d recently sold the car to Frost.

He claims Frost had text message him that morning saying he had been involved in a pursuit with police and was going to “scrap” the vehicle.

Frost fronted court on Wednesday charged with 18 offences, with the fact sheet saying it was a “miracle” no one was more seriously injured due to his driving.

​”The accused has shown absolutely no regard to any other motorist on the roads; he has driven at extreme speeds, whilst disqualified and also in a vehicle with expired registration,” the fact sheet said. 

Defence lawyer Kirby Powell said Frost would agree to any conditions if released on bail, including daily reporting to police.

“He agrees not to be in any vehicle – he can take public transport to report [to police],” she said.

However, Magistrate Mark Douglass refused to release Frost, noting the allegations were very serious.

“You put many lives at risk, many people at risk of injury or event death,” he said.

“I’ve got no confidence you will comply with bail.”