On the lookout for a healthy alternative to have on hand when the 3pm munchies hit you hard? Then look no further. What we have here is a deliciously moist and fudgy chocolate brownie recipe which is sure to hit the mark in satisfying your sweet tooth without compromising your health.
These brownies are made with coconut flour instead of nutrient-void white flour, which means they contain over 4 times more fibre than your typical brownie - and we all know how good fibre is for optimal gut health, don’t we?
This recipe also calls for almond milk rather than dairy, which is so much easier for the gut to digest, and uses coconut oil rather than vegetable oil which provides you with a great source of sustainable energy and satiety without the inflammatory effect that comes with a dose of vegetable oils.
So overall, these fudgy chocolately brownies are a real winner for both your taste buds and your gut health. Enjoy!
Fudgy Coconut Flour Brownies (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
· 1/2 cup coconut flour
· 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
· Pinch of salt
· 3 Eggs
· 1/3 cup raw honey
· 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
· 1/2 cup coconut oil - melted
· 1/2 cup cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips (or crushed almonds/macadamia nuts)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a square brownie pan with baking paper and set aside.
3. In a bowl sift together the coconut flour, cacao powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and honey on medium speed using a handheld electric beater or an old fashioned hand cranked beater until pale yellow.
5. Add the almond milk and melted coconut oil to the eggs and honey and beat to combine.
6. Add in the coconut flour mixture and beat until a smooth batter is formed.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips (or nuts).
8. Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes so it can thicken.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out with a spatula.
10. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips or nuts (if using).
11. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick insert in the centre comes out clean.
12. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.