Nathan Brannock accused of leading police on 'dangerous' pursuit

A Warrawong man accused of leaving behind a “trail of carnage” during a lengthy pursuit with police has begged not to be returned to jail.

Nathan Brady Brannock broke down in tears during his recent bail application in Wollongong Local Court, claiming he had been assaulted during his last stint behind bars and needed his liberty to look after his sick mother.

“I’ve been clean, I’ve done my parole,” the 24-year-old wailed as he entered pleas of not guilty to the charges and pleaded to be released.

“I can’t go back to jail.”

However, the magistrate said the manner of driving alleged in the fact sheets was “outrageous”. He refused Brannock bail, noting there was a “strong” circumstantial case that he was the driver.

Court documents reveal police were conducting speed checks in Padstow on August 30 when they detected a Holden Commodore travelling at 92km/h in a 70km/h zone about 9.50pm.

Police attempted to pull the car over however it allegedly accelerated away, reaching speeds of up to 160km/h as police gave chase.

It will be alleged the vehicle, was twice used to ram a police car as the driver sought to escape.

The pursuit was terminated after the vehicle crossed to the incorrect side of the road, over double unbroken lines, on a blind crest.

Officers claimed the Commodore overtook at least 35 vehicles during the 10km chase.

The vehicle was spotted travelling down Bulli Pass and turning north towards Thirroul at 10pm. Wollongong Police were dispatched to the scene and found the car abandoned on Roxburgh Avenue. 

A check of RMS records revealed the registered owner lived at the same address as Brannock.

When officers attended the house, they saw Brannock being dropped off in a Ford Ranger. The owner of the Ranger – one of Brannock’s relatives – told police Brannock had arrived on the doorstep of his property at Thirroul about 10.40pm.

Defence lawyer Paul Cramer admitted the speeding car had left a “trail of carnage” but said his client denied being behind the wheel.

“The matter will rise and fall on on DNA evidence – a description of the driver is absent from the facts,” he said.

The case returns to court next month.,