A government decision to stop one traffic plan for Bulli and start from scratch with another is a “disgrace”, according to Keira MP Ryan Park.
On Friday the Mercury reported the NSW Government had scrapped a Roads and Maritime Services study into the Thirroul to Unanderra traffic corridor – even though it has already started.
The strategy was meant to include solutions for the traffic congestion through the Bulli CBD.
However, the traffic troubles at Bulli will now form part of Transport for NSW’s “Illawarra-Shoalhaven Future Transport Plan” – which has not yet started.
“The focus will be on local and regional transport needs and how these fit into the broader regional transport and land use vision, and will provide a framework for future planning and investment decisions,” a Transport for NSW spokesman said.
Work was planned to commence “in the coming months”.
READ MORE: Bulli traffic troubles to feature in plan
Both Mr Park and Wollongong MP Paul Scully said they had been assured repeatedly by Roads and Maritime Services that the Thirroul-Unanderra strategy was being worked on.
They were disappointed the government appeared to have gone back to square one.
“The scrapping of the Thirroul to Unanderra Network Strategy without warning is disgrace,” Mr Park said.
“Motorists in the Illawarra’s northern suburbs are going to find the scrapping of one plan in favour of developing yet another to be mind-boggling as they stew in snail-paced traffic along Memorial Drive and Lawrence Hargrave Drive with no solutions in sight.”
Mr Scully questioned why the government would “waste time” in starting a new report.
“How many thousands of dollars’ worth of work has been thrown out as a result?,” he asked.
“Our local roads have got big challenges dealing with more cars and I just can’t believe that the Berejiklian government would rather waste time on paper-shuffling than just fixing local congestion problems.”