During the school holidays local police are reminding children and giving tips to children about safe people and safe places.
Officers in the Lake Illawarra Police District want children to be aware that when they are out and about they can be confronted with situations where good decision-making is vital.
And that appropriate responses to certain situations will help children avoid trouble and danger.
The tips from Police are:
- Never stop and talk to people you don’t know.
- Never enter a vehicle of someone you don’t know or approach situations where there appears to be a fight, argument, unpleasant or aggressive behaviour.
- Make sure you stay with your family and friends and if you do separate from them, ensure you tell them where you are going, who you are with and when you will be back.
- Take the time to know safe places like schools, churches, shops, police, fire and ambulance stations and tell them if you are frightened.
- When travelling, go with a friend if possible and if using public transport find a crowded carriage, guards compartments or on a bus find a seat up the front.
- If you see something or someone approaches you in your travels that you feel was not right, ensure you report the incident to a parent, teacher or carer.