A man who accidentally set himself on fire at Kembla Grange overnight has suffered serious burns.
The 61-year-old man was working alone at a go-karting site off West Dapto Road about 9.20pm Tuesday, when he got into trouble.
The Mercury understands he was using petrol to clean mechanical parts, and had also recently applied bug spray to his skin, when there was a spark.
Early reports indicate he suffered burns to about 20 per cent of his body, including to his torso, legs and arms.
He dialed triple zero and was taken by road ambulance to the Illawarra Regional Airport at Albion Park, then airlifted to the burns unit at Royal North Shore Hospital, where he remains in a stable condition.
The man’s injuries are not considered life-threatening. The Mercury understands it may take time for doctors to determine the severity of the burns.
Lake Illawarra Police District’s Inspector Brian Pedersen said the emergency came on a commercial premises and WorkCover was now investigating.
“There’s an investigation underway. He’s yet to be spoken with, due to his being airlifted to hospital,” he said.
“Obviously any information that we do have will be passed on to WorkCover.
“It’s our understanding that he was by himself and that he’s called emergency services himself.”