There's a call for paramedics to be fitted with body-worn cameras after the "disgusting" assault on a female paramedic in Wollongong on Tuesday night.
Health Services Union NSW secretary Gerard Hayes called the incident, where the paramedic was punched in the face while helping an injured man, a "disgusting, despicable act".
It was the fourth assault on an Illawarra paramedic this year, and Mr Hayes said it highlighted the need for increased measures to protect first responders.
"Paramedics risk their own health and well-being every day to attend to the health and well-being of others," he said.
"They do not deserve to be treated like punching bags ... yet these incidents are occurring on a regular basis across the state.
"While there's been some changes to protect paramedics, more needs to be done.
"For instance we'd like to see a trial of paramedic-activated body cameras which would give us the confidence that the NSW Ambulance Service is serious about paramedic safety.
"In a hazardous situation it's important for paramedics to have some form of deterrent that may minimise the risk of violence."
Mr Hayes said the union would also like to see NSW Ambulance start to draft victim impact statements each time a paramedic was assaulted.
"This would allow courts to understand the full impact of such despicable behaviour," he said.
Unfortunately there remained a small section of the community, with an "ugly attitude" who felt it was okay to assault paramedics, Mr Hayes added.
"Community changes, for better or worse, and we are seeing different sorts of illicit drugs, and huge societal pressures, that are making some people more volatile and aggressive," he said.
"That's why there's a need for a wide-ranging community education campaign."
The Australian Paramedics Association is also demanding action in the wake of the attack in Wollongong's CBD, which is being investigated by NSW Police.
The Mercury understands two female paramedics went to the aid of a 53-year-old man who had crashed his mobility scooter - however he allegedly became aggressive, striking one of the paramedics in the face. She suffered bruising to her cheek but did not require treatment.
The man was expected to be charged with assault on Thursday night.
"We know that assaults deeply affect paramedics, adding to their already high levels of stress, and can have significant impacts for the rest of their lives," APA NSW president Chris Kastelan said.
"The NSW Government and NSW Ambulance has been promising to do more to protect paramedics on the job but as far as we are concerned little has changed, and the situation is getting worse."
However a NSW Ambulance spokesperson said the service was committed to reducing occupational violence and risks "wherever and whenever possible".
"Paramedics have the support of the Minister and NSW Ambulance Commissioner Dominic Morgan to not enter a scene, or to withdraw from a scene where the situation is unsafe," the spokesperson said.
"Safety initiatives announced in May last year include mandatory face-to-face occupational violence prevention training for paramedics in de-escalating violent situations, under a $3.3 million package aimed at improving their job safety.
"This program has commenced and will continue over the next three years."
The spokesperson said the NSW Government had also committed $35 million in communications and safety measures to be completed in the next few months.
These included an upgrade of mobile data terminals, portable radios with enhanced duress capability and new in-vehicle radios to ensure enhanced reception.
"NSW Ambulance has well established procedures for paramedics, operating as a single officer response, or as part of a paramedic crew, to stand off or retreat from an incident scene if there is a threat to paramedic safety."