Groom your pooch and get their best collar out, Friday is officially Take Your Dog To Work Day.
The annual event, initiated by Pet Sitters International, encourages employers to open their businesses to dogs to promote the benefits of pet ownership and encourage animal adoption.
So if you're in an office, on the farm, working at home or in the great outdoors, it's time to acknowledge how great dogs are.
7 tips to Take Your Dog To Work Day success
1. Do an office check. Check with management and co-workers to see if anyone is allergic, afraid of or opposed to you bringing your dog to work on this special day.
2. Puppy-proof your work space. Remove poisonous plants, hide electrical cords and wires and secure toxic items such as correction fluid and permanent markers.
3. Make sure Fido is fit for work. Ensure vaccinations are current and your dog is bathed. Also, if your dog is aggressive or overly shy, it's best to leave him at home.
4. Prepare a doggie bag. Include food, treats, bowls, toys, and clean-up bags.
5. Plan feeding times carefully. And choose an appropriate area for your dog to relieve himself afterward.
6. Avoid forcing co-workers to interact with your dog. Dog lovers will make themselves known. Also monitor the amount of treats your pet is being given from your co-workers.
7. Have an exit strategy. Should your dog become overly boisterous, agitated or withdrawn, consider taking him home. Never leave your pet alone in a vehicle while you work.
With Grace Ryan