The deaths of the two children who were killed riding quad bikes on Illawarra farms this year could have been prevented if a new set of safety standards had been put in place, Whitlam MP Stephen Jones said.
The Illawarra politician, and Labor's Assistant Treasury spokesman, joined a protest on the lawns of Parliament House on Tuesday to call on the government to mandate roll-over protection on all new quad bikes.
"The evidence says that about 90 per cent of these fatalities could be prevented," Mr Jones said.
"And while we dillydally, up to six people a day are rushed to hospital with quad bike injuries."
He said seven Australians had died on quad bikes this year.
That included a 10-year-old boy who died at Meroo Meadow in June, and a 10-year-old girl who died in hospital after a quad bike accident at a Marshall Mount farm in February.
Joining with farmers, doctors and families of victims, Mr Jones called for action on a March report by the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission.
The commission found many quad bike deaths could be avoided through new safety standards, like the installation of crush protection devices, and recommended Assistant Treasurer Michael Sukkar make a mandatory safety standard.
Read more: Boy dies in ATV accident at Meroo Meadow
"We can put in a product safety standard under Australian consumer law, it can be done and I've written to the Minister asking that they do that," Mr Jones said.
"They've been sitting on a report which recommended they do these things. And I just don't want to have to sit with another grieving parent when there's a simple, affordable solution."
When the ACCC's report was released, Mr Sukkar asked the commission to conduct another round of community consultation.
He said the results of this, and the final ACCC recommendations had only been provided to the government in the past fortnight.
"The Government is carefully considering stakeholder feedback alongside the ACCC's recommendations and advice about implementing a mandatory safety standard," he said.