A Dapto man was rushed to hospital after a suspected red-bellied black snake bite while taking out the bins on Thursday night.
Bryan Thompson was taking the green wheelie garbage bin out to the front curb about 6pm when he felt something hit his leg.
Thinking it was only a stick, the 57-year-old man ignored it and moved a second bin to the street.
But by the time he went back inside he saw blood over his foot.
"I sat on the couch and started to feel light-headed and dizzy," Mr Thompson said. "I went into shock."
That's when he realised he had been bitten by a snake hiding under the bin.
A snake catcher who went to the house said it was likely a red-bellied black snake as they are most common in the area.
Mr Thompson called his wife Lisa who told him to call for an ambulance.
He started Googling how to treat a snake bite while he waited for paramedics and his step-son to arrive from down the road.
"The paramedics wrapped up my leg from foot to groin," Mr Thompson said.
"The ambulance ride was the quickest trip to the hospital I have even taken."
Hospital staff treated Mr Thompson with compression bandages, pain relief, observation and blood tests to ensure the venom was being removed his body.
They could not use an anti-venom as Mr Thompson was not sure which type of snake had bitten him.
Mrs Thompson asked Glen Peacock from Illawarra Snake Catchers to go to the house to find the snake as the family have grandchildren and a dog.
Despite looking in every nook and cranny, Mr Peacock was unable to find the snake.
The snake catcher said Mr Thompson had probably squashed or cornered the red-bellied black snake, which is usually a shy species, causing it to defend itself.
"If snakes feel cornered or threatened they will defend themselves," he said.
"Snakes are not out there deliberately wanting to bite people.
"Mr Thompson was unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Mr Peacock said most snakes made 'dry bites' as a warning but Mr Thompson had been injected with venom as he was dry reaching, vomiting and felt lethargic and light-headed.
He said the snake was likely in the yard as there were rats under the house.
"We have never seen a rat. I will be asking our landlord to send out a pest controller," Mrs Thompson said.
"We keep the grass short, we don't have water laying around and the bins are kept on concrete."
Mrs Thompson said she had a nerve-wracking night on Thursday jumping at every noise or movement thinking the snake was in the house.
"The snake catcher told us to be on the lookout for 48 hours because it would probably move on in that time," she said.
The neighbours and nearby Koonawarra Public School was warned too.
The Thompsons want Illawarra residents to be on the lookout for any slithery creatures.
"We live in a built up area and there are no parks or bush around," Mrs Thompson said.
"People need to be vigilant.
"It doesn't matter where you live, snakes could be around."
Mr Thompson is slowly getting back on his feet and is expected to be discharged from hospital on Friday.
"I am thanking my lucky stars and despite everything I am in good spirits," Mr Thompson said.
Mr Peacock said it was important for people to know what to do if they got bitten by a snake.
They should call an ambulance, move away from the snake, sit down, not panic and use a compression bandage to tightly wrap over the wound.
Mr Peacock said it was now breeding season so males were on the move trying to find a female mate.