The Currowan bushfire north of Batemans Bay continues to burn out of control and is at emergency warning level after fire activity increased on Sunday afternoon due to strong westerly winds.
Situation as of 10.22pm:
- The fire is spreading quickly in an easterly direction towards the Princes Highway.
- The fire has crossed the Clyde River and is burning to the west of the Princes Highway.
- The fire is expected to reach the Princes Highway tonight or tomorrow. This will cut access to coastal communities.
- There is a significant amount of smoke in the area.
- Firefighters are working in the area to protect properties where possible.
- The fire has burnt more than 11,500 hectares.
AREAS WEST OF THE PRINCES HIGHWAY BETWEEN TERMEIL AND EAST LYNNE
- Seek shelter as the fire impacts. It is too late to leave.
DURRAS, DEPOT BEACH, PEBBLY BEACH, PRETTY BEACH, BAWLEY POINT
- Leave now towards Ulladulla or Batemans Bay.
- Roads may be closed by fire later today.
- Do not leave it until it is too late to leave. Take action now.
FLAT ROCK AND TERMEIL AREA
- Leave now towards Ulladulla.
Evacuation centres have been established at the following locations:
- Ulladulla Civic Centre, 81B Princes Hwy, Ulladulla
- Hanging Rock Sports Club Function Centre, Hanging Rock Place, Batemans Bay
If you are threatened by fire
- Do not be in the path of the fire.
- Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. Wear protective clothing and footwear. Cover all exposed skin.
- If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000).
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
- Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service has closed campgrounds in Murramarang National Park.
- For information on road closures, check www.livetraffic.com. Roads may be closed without warning.
The next update on this fire will be issued by 01/12/2019 23:00 or if the situation changes.
Elsewhere, a bushfire burning in the Wollondilly LGA was upgraded to Watch and Act at 3.50pm.
Fire activity has increased at the Green Wattle Creek blaze, which has burned through more than 7100 hectares of bushland.
The RFS said firefighters are in the area.
The Watch And Act alert level means there is a heightened level of threat, conditions are changing and you need to start taking action now to protect you and your family.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Continue to stay up to date with the bushfire situation by checking http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
For information on road closures, check http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au. Roads may be closed without warning.