An investigation is underway after a 56-year-old man was hit and killed by a car at Figtree on Thursday night.
Emergency services were called to the Princes Highway, near O'Briens Road, about 9.30pm following reports a pedestrian had been struck by a car.
On Friday morning Wollongong Police District Acting Inspector Sam Perfrement told media the man, from Figtree, was pronounced dead at the scene.
He has not been formally identified.
The 25-year-old male driver was not injured and was taken to Wollongong Hospital for mandatory testing. Initial tests revealed he had tested negative for alcohol.
Inspector Perfrement said the 56-year-old had been with other people at the time of the accident, with initial reports indicating he had not been in the middle of the road at the time.
"(It's) something that's traumatic for families, for all those involved, including police and other emergency services," he said.
He urged road users to "remain vigilant and take care on the roads".
Officers from Wollongong Police District continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fatal accident.
Any witnesses or anyone with dashcam vision of the crash is urged to come forward.