WHAT THE BUSHFIRES ROYAL COMMISSION WILL FOCUS ON
* Improving natural disaster management coordination - across all levels of government;
* Improving Australia's preparedness, resilience, and response to natural disasters - across all levels of government;
* The legal framework for the Commonwealth's involvement in responding to national emergencies and how that works with state and territory laws;
* Australia's arrangements for improving resilience and adaptation to climate change, and what can be done to mitigate the impacts of natural disasters.
* The terms of reference notes the role of climate change, saying Australia must take action to address the "consequences of longer, hotter, drier seasons and severe weather events".
* It will be led by retired defence force chief Mark Binskin.
* He will be assisted by former federal court judge Dr Annabelle Bennett and climate expert professor Andrew Macintosh.
* They can make recommendations relating to changes in policy, law, or administrative or structural reforms.
* The probe will consider findings and recommendations from other inquiries relating to the 2019/20 bushfire season.
* Any interim reports will be submitted to the governor-general, with a final report due by August 31, 2020.
Australian Associated Press