The cruise ship at the "epicentre of coronavirus in NSW", the Ruby Princess, will dock at Port Kembla on Monday morning.
A criminal investigation was on Sunday launched into the circumstances surrounding the docking and disembarking of the Ruby Princess in Sydney last month.
It has become the biggest single largest source of COVID-19 cases in the state - with more than 620 cases - and 11 associated deaths.
Labor's health spokesman Ryan Park has slammed the NSW government for the decision to "dump" its problems on the Illawarra.
"It is unbelievable that in the cover of darkness the vessel that has been the epicentre of coronavirus in NSW sails into the harbour," he said.
"Everyone wants to see the crew on board this ship get the medical attention they need and deserve, but the majority of health and hospital resources are located just a few kilometres from Sydney Harbour.
"It beggars belief that a government has made a decision to move this ship down to the Illawarra when they have a large number of ICU beds and hospital resources located within close proximity of Sydney Harbour.
"I am extremely concerned that an influx of sick crew members needing to access hospital will put an enormous strain on Wollongong Hospital and its intensive care capacity.
"This Government has simply tried to dump its problems on to the people of the Illawarra when we already have a hospital system under strain and a limited availability of resources."
NSW Ports said in a statement it had received a direction from NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller on Sunday to assist the government with its response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
"NSW Ports has been directed to provide berth and port facilities for the Carnival Cruise vessel, the Ruby Princess, for a period of 10 days," the statement read.
NSW Ports said the Ruby Princess currently had only crew on board (no passengers), with a number of the crew unwell with COVID-19.
"The Ruby Princess will berth at Port Kembla's Berth 104 to facilitate medical treatment of the crew and the safe transfer of crew members who may require hospitalisation," the statement said.
"Crew will not disembark unless permitted by the Public Health (COVID-19 Maritime Quarantine) Order 2020 issued by the Minister for Health and Medical Research under the Public Health Act 2010.
" All activities at berth and the transfer of unwell crew members to hospital will be overseen by NSW Police and NSW Health."
NSW Ports said strict protocols and procedures will be in place at all times to ensure the safety and well-being of all workers involved and the wider community.
Also on Sunday, Commissioner Fuller announced a criminal investigation would take place involving cruise line operator Carnival Australia.
The investigation - led by the NSW police homicide squad - aims to identity how passengers were allowed to disembark the Ruby Princess in Sydney, resulting in several deaths and COVID-19 outbreaks throughout the country.
"The only way I can get to the bottom of whether our national biosecurity laws and our state laws were broken is through a criminal investigation," NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said on Sunday.
Mr Fuller told reporters transparency regarding patient health on board the cruise ship was a key question for the investigation.
"From my perspective there are many unanswered questions," he said.
"There seems to be absolute discrepancies between the information provided by Carnival and what I would see is the benchmark for the laws of the federal and state government."
He said there was clear evidence COVID-19 had come off the Ruby Princess and at least 11 passengers had died in Australia because of it.
The investigation will cover the actions of the port authority, ambulance, police, the NSW Health department and Carnival Australia.
Carnival Australia responded to Mr Fuller's announcement on Sunday, offering full cooperation with the investigation.
"In addition to willingly participating in the investigation, Carnival Australia will vigorously respond to any allegations of which there must now be full disclosure and the basis for them," a statement read on Sunday.
NSW police confirmed the Ruby Princess will arrive at Port Kembla on Monday "to allow for safer access for medical assessments, treatment, or emergency extractions of her crew."
A NSW police spokeswoman said on Sunday the vessel is likely to remain docked for up to 10 days, but no crew will be disembarked unless in an emergency and approved by Mr Fuller.
"The berthing will be conducted under strict health and biosecurity guidelines and will not pose a risk to employees at the port or the broader community," the spokeswoman said in a statement.
"She will also be refuelling and restocking provisions, as required for her home journey."
Health Minister Brad Hazzard is standing behind his staff who had allowed the Ruby Princess cruise ship to disembark in Sydney on March 19, despite knowing the results would be available within hours.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Friday said Mr Fuller would lead an investigation into the fiasco.
NSW Labor has called for Mr Hazzard to resign over the scandal, with the opposition labelling it "one of the greatest health disasters" in NSW history.
Detective Chief Inspector Jason Dickinson of the NSW Homicide Squad will lead the investigation from Monday and the coroner will be notified.