Large and powerful waves are expected to slam the Illawarra coastline on Tuesday.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a hazardous surf warning for the NSW coast, stretching from Eden to the Hunter.
Surf and swell conditions are expected to be dangerous for coastal activities such as rock fishing, boating and swimming.
Westerly winds of 20-30km/h are forecast for Tuesday, with a few showers expected to ease in the evening.
NSW Police Force, Marine Area Command advise that:
- People should consider staying out of the water and avoid walking near surf-exposed areas.
- Rock fishers should avoid coastal rock platforms exposed to the ocean and seek a safe location that is sheltered from the surf.
- Boaters planning to cross shallow water and ocean bars should consider changing or delaying their voyage.
- Boaters already on the water should carry the appropriate safety equipment and wear a lifejacket.
- Boaters should remember to log on with their local Marine Rescue radio base, via VHF Radio or the Marine Rescue APP, and consider their safety management plan.