Wollongong Relay for Life will go ahead in 2020, but under a new format to ensure the event meets strict COVID-19 restrictions.
Cancer Council NSW and the Relay Committee have come up with a new 'Relay Rounds' concept for the October 17 event at Beaton Park - which will keep numbers down on the ground, by giving teams an allocated time slot to walk the track.
"We would have liked to celebrate 20 years with our biggest and best event ever however 2020 has thrown us some obstacles and we had to make the difficult decision earlier in the year to cancel or postpone most of our community fundraising events," Cancer Council community relations co-ordinator Kelly Dinnerville said.
"The new format will give participants the opportunity to still attend and support people impacted by cancer, whilst keeping our community safe.
"We will be closely following government health advice and will provide updates, including the potential to increase numbers, as needed."
Ms Dinnerville said Relay enabled community members to support those affected by cancer, have fun at a community festival and raise vital funds for Cancer Council's research, prevention, advocacy and support services.
"I think it's really important for the community that we go ahead with the Relay. It is such a moving, emotional but fun experience and although it might be a bit different this year, we are confident that people will still have a great time," she said.
"We are grateful to the Wollongong community for their ongoing support."
There'll still be entertainment, food, kids activities and ceremonies on the day - just on a smaller scale.
As numbers are limited teams are encouraged to go online and register at www.cancercouncil.org.au/wollongongrelay.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.