Toni Carusi's student days are behind her, but she was still celebrating when news filtered through Year 12 formals and graduations can take place from November 12.
The Jam Woman Clothing director said her predominantly formal wear Wollongong boutique had lost thousands of dollars after the state government cancelled school formals, dances and graduation ceremonies in Term 3.
"It is good for us. We have already seen an improvement in sales since the announcement [Friday]," Ms Carusi said.
"It's a shame they cancelled the other formals......we're still not as busy as we should be but something is better than nothing.
"I'm also pleased for the girls that they now have that special day to make memories."
Under the guidelines issued to principals on Friday, each student can invite two people from their immediate family or household to their graduation ceremony, so long as events abide by the four-square metre rule.
Schools will draw up plans to ensure 1.5 metres of space separates households, visitors remain seated as much as possible and parents don't mingle before or after the event.
Students and staff are also allowed to attend school-organised formals.
"If the venue has the capacity, the school can decide to allow the attendance of external visitors such as partners, DJs, and photographers," the guidelines say.
Dancing is permitted but dancefloors must be outdoors or in well-ventilated areas, and students should pick their partners wisely.
Students can only dance with partners who are from the school, the same local community, or who have an established relationship with the group and normally socialise with the student cohort.
There must also be room for 1.5 metres of social distancing.
Student-organised formals are also bound to the year 12 formal COVID-19 safety plan, which limits tables to 10 people, prohibits singing and chanting, and emphasises that students can't congregate in groups.
Minister for Education Sarah Mitchell said she was thrilled students would be able to enjoy the end year celebrations.
Meantime, individuals now risk $1000 Penalty Infringement Notices (PINs) if they attend private gatherings which exceeds the allowed 20-person limit.
Amendments made to the Public Health Order (PHO) mean every person in attendance will now be held individually responsible for the breach.
Previously only the organiser of a gathering was liable to receive a fine if the number of people at the premises breached the PHO.
The changes, which came into effect at midnight Monday, aim to ensure the safety of the community ahead of an expected increase in gatherings associated with Christmas and end-of-year festivities.
Operation Corona Virus Commander, Assistant Commissioner Tony Crandell, said that as with the previous restrictions, these amendments have been made with community safety in mind.
"Coming into the warmer months, and with end-of-year festivities around the corner, it's only natural that people will have additional reasons to want to gather and get together," Assistant Commissioner Crandell said.
"These amendments aim to ensure that an increase in expected gatherings doesn't mean an increase in COVID-19 cases.
"The new changes come in addition to other restrictions which remain in place, including a limit on numbers at outdoor gatherings and licensed premises."
The full list of restrictions can be found here.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.