A Wollongong jury has found Graham Squires guilty of two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death over his involvement in a fatal crash on the M1 Motorway last year.
Jurors took less than a day to deliberate on the case, returning the verdict just after 2.30pm on Thursday after hearing three days worth of evidence.
Squires remained straight-faced when the verdict was announced and walked from the courthouse without speaking to media a short time ago.
Squires had pleaded not guilty to allegations he caused the deaths of John Cerezo and Catherine Camilleri, who died when their Mitsubishi Pajero became wedged between two trucks on the afternoon of June 28 and burst into flames near the Mt Keira Road overpass.
The Crown case was Squires drove dangerously when his Ford Territory merged too closely in front of a Mack truck, causing the truck to clip the back of the Territory and push it into a concrete barrier as the larger vehicle ground to a halt.
Meanwhile, Mr Cerezo's Pajero hit the back of the Mack truck and was then in turn hit from behind by an Isuzu truck.
Both the Pajero and the Isuzu caught fire. The driver of the Isuzu managed to escape the inferno but Mr Cerezo and Ms Camilleri perished in the blaze.
Defence lawyer Luke Brasch had argued Squires may have made a "misjudgement" in believing there was enough room to merge his vehicle, but that his conduct behind the wheel did not rise to the level of dangerous, as defined by the law.
However, the jury determined otherwise, finding that Squires' manner of driving that day was dangerous.
Outside court, Mr Cerezo's son, Steven, said no verdict would bring back his father.
"It's all just been a senseless loss....it's been an awful ordeal for the family," he said.
Squires remains on conditional bail and will face sentencing in Sydney's Downing Centre District Court on December 11.