Due to predicted high temperatures, the Wollongong City Council will be extending lifeguard patrolled beach hours for Friday, Saturday and Monday.
Council lifeguards will also be supporting Surf Life Saving Illawarra on Sunday and Tuesday (Australia Day) with roving patrols to ensure that as many people as possible have the opportunity to cool off and swim safely.
Roving patrols will be encouraging visitors to swim only at our patrolled beaches and between the red and yellow flags.
Read more: How to spot a rip
In addition to the increased temperatures, challenging sea conditions are likely, with a predicted surge in swell over the coming days. Sea conditions can change rapidly, adding further emphasis for beachgoers to only swim between the flags.
Wollongong Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery encouraged the community to enjoy the warmer weather, but to do so responsibly.
"Warm weather is one of the great aspects of our region. However, this Friday and weekend is going to be particularly warm and busy leading into Australia Day, which will require everyone to use their common sense when out and about," he said.
"If you are going to visit our beaches or pools, always follow the directions of our lifeguards. Do the simple things right, swim between the flags and remember to keep a towel's length away from others."
Beach locations and extended patrol hours
FRIDAY, SATURDAY & MONDAY
- Stanwell Park Beach - 9am to 7pmLower Coast Rd, Stanwell Park
- Coalcliff Beach - 10am to 5pm (may extend 1 hour depending on conditions)Lawrence Hargrave Dr, Coalcliff
- Scarborough Beach - 10am to 5pm (may extend 1 hour depending on conditions)Monash St, Wombarra
- Coledale Beach - 9am to 7pmLawrence Hargrave Dr, Coledale
- Austinmer Beach - 9am to 7pmLawrence Hargrave Dr, Austinmer
- Thirroul Beach - 9am to 7pmThe Esplanade, Thirroul
- Sandon Point Beach - 10am to 6pmPoint St, Bulli
- Bulli Beach - 9am to 7pmFarrell Rd, Bulli
- Woonona Beach - 9am to 7pmKurraba Rd, Woonona
- Bellambi Beach - 9am to 6pm (may extend 1 hour depending on conditions)Morgan Pl, Bellambi
- Corrimal Beach - 9am to 7pmLake Pde, East Corrimal
- Towradgi Beach - 9am to 7pmMurranar Rd, Towradgi
- Fairy Meadow Beach - 9am to 7pmElliots Rd, Fairy Meadow
- North Wollongong Beach - 8am to 7pmCliff Rd, North Wollongong
- Wollongong City Beach - 9am to 7pmMarine Dr, Wollongong
- Port Kembla Beach - 9am to 7pm withOlympic Blvd, Port Kembla
- Windang Beach - 9am to 7pmFern St, Windang
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.