Plans have been put on hold for Wollongong to host what was being promoted as Australia's first live concert with international musicians since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
The Under The Southern Stars concert series was scheduled to kick off in the Illawarra, at WIN Entertainment Centre on April 30.
After a series of postponements and a line-up change due to the pandemic, the bill was to feature co-headliners Cheap Trick, Bush and Stone Temple Pilots.
However, the tour has now been postponed to 2022.
"The Under the Southern Stars spectacular concert series has regrettably and unfortunately been postponed - again," organisers said in a statement.
"We must protect our patrons, our artists and our crews.
"Given the disappointingly slow roll-out of the vaccine by the government, there is no confidence that we can keep all safe and proceed as planned at our festivals this May.
"The very recent 11th hour cancellation of Byron Bay Bluesfest by the NSW government on the eve of the landmark festivals start date over Easter was an incredibly disheartening display of what could possibly happen to our patrons, artists and crews - being left stranded high and dry only moments before one of our events is set to kick off.
"We wish to protect all, and avoid a situation such as this."
Under The Southern Stars promoter, Andrew McManus said they must protect artists and patrons.
"We get it.... How many times can the Australian system force another postponement?" he said.
"So we are making the hard decision to reschedule Under The Southern Stars to the first quarter of 2022 and ask that all our valued supporters hold on to their tickets and in return we will be announcing some truly exciting additions to the line-up and festival circuit."
Promoters say a full announcement including the rescheduled dates, additions to the line-up and more will be shared in the coming weeks.
All tickets already purchased will be valid for new shows when they are announced.
The promoters had previously announced a COVID-safe event plan for the tour, as part of a "test case" for future live music events.
Measures were to include all three acts travelling with essential band members only, and being COVID tested before leaving Los Angeles for Australia.
The bands were to be quarantined in Australia at an isolated compound with a rehearsal studio, for 14 days.
Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen told the Mercury in March that the band was excited to be involved.
"We're one of the first (bands to tour internationally again), and so it's good to be number one," Nielsen laughed.
"I think it might be a new beginning for a lot of this stuff."
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.