Two students were taken to Wollongong Hospital after being injured in an acid spill at the University of Wollongong on Wednesday morning.
Crews from NSW Ambulance and Fire and Rescue NSW were called just before 10.20am with reports of the spill in a lab at Building 43, the Science Teaching Facility.
Paramedics assessed two patients - a teenage female suffering burns to her eyes, and a male in his twenties with burns to his lower leg - although considered minor injuries, according to a spokeswoman from NSW Ambulance.
Firefighters from Wollongong were also called to help clean up the hazardous materials.
A spokesman for UOW said the spill occurred during a routine experiment as part of the students' science class, and they had been wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) at the time.
"UOW is currently investigating the incident and will report it to SafeWork NSW," the spokesman said.
"The university is committed to the safety and welfare of students. Student services staff are in contact with the affected students and their families to offer support and assistance."