The wait is almost over for those missing their chicken schnitty or wings, crackling pork knuckle and German sausage fix from The Bavarian Wollongong.
The German themed restaurant on the corner of Keira and Crown Street, Wollongong will return from noon on Tuesday, June 15 in the same location at the former Max Brenner site
Food and beverage director John Sullivan said the reopening was timed to coincide with The Bavarian's national launch of five large protein packed winter platters for those with big appetites, small families and diners of two to share.
Mr Sullivan said the the new Bavarian-inspired haus of hearty bites was designed to compliment the line-up of traditional German beers and range of local Aussie brews that can be used to toast the re-opening.
The Bavarian Wollongong closed at the height of COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 along with others around the nation.
The reopening of outlets has been staggered with The Bavarian Shellharbour returning three months ago.
"We are thrilled to be reopening The Bavarian Wollongong," Mr Sullivan said.
"Winter is the perfect time to do so with our hearty menu of generous portions and our new range of valued-packed platters.
"We encourage everyone to come along and give them a try, and to raise a stein to our reopening."
Mr Sullivan said the eatery will reopen with a staff of 15.
"We are still looking for a final few back of house and front of house team members," he said.
"Anyone interested can can send their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org."
"We've given the venue a little TLC, a big clean and refreshed some paintwork."
Mr Sullivan said The Bavarian will trade from Midday to late from Tuesday to Sunday each week when it returns.
"The Bavarian Wollongong has a loyal following and we've been fielding lots of questions on social media about when we are reopening," he said.
"Bookings are now open and some of our original regulars have already booked in with friends and family.
"From this coming week, The Bavarian Shellharbour will open on Tuesday, too, operating through to Sunday.
"During the closure, I think a lot of locals realised how much they have missed us and they are keen to come back for a unique dining experience that they can't get anywhere else in Wollongong.
"The Bavarian is a one-of-a-kind experience, that is value-driven and family friendly. Big Bavarian dishes such as pork knuckles, pork belly and schnitzels are amongst our best sellers, along with steins of great beers."
The new menu includes;
- The Bavarian Tasting Platter featuring a crackling pork belly, pork knuckle, flavour-packed German sausages and golden-crumbed chicken schnitzel accompanied with traditional trimmings such as sauerkraut, red cabbage, creamy mashed potato, apple compote and delicious bier jus.
- The Ultimate Pork Platter including crackling pork belly, Nurnberger bratwurst, crisp pork schnitzel and BBQ pork bao buns served with sides of sauerkraut, red cabbage, creamy mash, lashings of German mustard and bier jus.
- Schnitzel Celebration Platter with cheesy chicken parma, garlic and parmesan rubbed chicken schnitzel and traditional Jagerschnitzel with mushroom sauce, served with crunchy fries.
- The Southern Platter with Nashville rubbed fried chicken, southern fried chicken schnitzel, potato gems, cabbage slaw with chipotle mayo, Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce and buffalo sauce.
- The Signature Sausage Platter featuring cheese kransky, frankfurter, pepper and garlic kielbasa, Nurnberger pin wheels and liverwurst served with house-baked pretzels, creamy mash, sauerkraut, Kuhne mustard and bier jus.
- Also on the menu are pretzels served warm from the oven, pork knuckles thick with golden crackling, roast pork belly, and golden-crumbed, chicken schnitzels.
- And there is a range of chicken wings with signature sauces, burgers, and light bites including crispy pork belly bao buns and salt and pepper squid are also available.
- For vegetarians there is a mushroom parma mushroom burger and a selection of salads.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.