Not-for-profit community service providers were recognised on Friday for the extraordinary lengths they go to help others.
The We Do Magic Community Service Awards acknowledged those who continued to offer critical support to vulnerable people in the face of drought, fire, flood and a pandemic.
Community Industry Group's Nicky Sloan said the winners were among many incredible stories of service, innovation and collaboration.
"The pressures from disasters like drought, bushfires, floods, and a global pandemic have dramatically impacted the lives of the most vulnerable individuals, families and communities. Demand for community support has dramatically increased in areas such as homelessness, food relief, mental health, and domestic and family violence over the past 18 months."
Judging panel member Carol Lymbery said she couldn't help but feel inspired by the creativity, commitment and strength of so many community achievers and organisations.
Meals on Wheels Wollongong was among the winners and manager Sarah Callaway described it as huge honour for the admin team that had given so much extra time during the last 12 months.
Ms Callaway said demand for meals delivered by 30 volunteers has grown to between 1800 and 1900 a month.
"It was amazing to see all the volunteer groups there on Friday and hear what those present actually did for the community," she said.
We Do Magic winners;
- Brilliant Idea Individual - Leonie Way of Greenacres Disability Services
- Brilliant Idea Team - SENTRAL Youth Services Team, Kiama Council - and The Family Place, Moruya
- Above & Beyond Individual - Maxyne Graham of Warrawong Residents Forum - and Rachael McPhail of The Disability Trust
- Above & Beyond Team - Management and volunteers at A Taste of Paradise Organic Farm - and Age Matters' homelessness program
- Transformation & Reinvention Small Team - Terri Rowe and Louise Croker, Illawarra Interagency
- Transformation & Reinvention Big Team - Property team at Warrigal
- Transformation & Reinvention Whole Organisation - South East Women & Children's Services and Noah's Inclusion Services Therapy Team
- Terrific Team Effort Small - Admin team at Wollongong Meals on Wheels
- Terrific Team Effort Big - Lifeline South Coast - and Living Connected's Young Mentors Program
- Friends in Need - The Flagstaff Group and Wests Illawarra - and Bellambi Neighbourhood Centre and Partners
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.