The proprietor of Port Kembla's Commercial Hotel has been released on bail with a $100,000 surety after police charged him with choking and spitting on his partner.
Gordon Despotovski, 32, appeared at Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday on charges of choking to commit another indictable offence, detaining a person to obtain advantage, stalking, and two counts of common assault.
The charges stemmed from an alleged assault on Despotovski's on-off partner in Wollongong early on Wednesday morning.
It was alleged that the woman woke about 1am to a light shining on her eyes and Despotovski on top of her, holding her down by her throat with such pressure that she could not move and her breathing was restricted.
Despotovski allegedly began yelling abuse at her and spat on her face 20 to 30 times.
He refused to let her off the bed, it was alleged, and pushed her down if she tried to get up.
The woman told police she believed Despotovski hacked her phone, as he allegedly told her he had been watching it via an app on his phone.
He allegedly began to read messages from his own phone that she had sent from hers to another man.
Eventually the woman was able to wrestle free, but Despotovski allegedly stopped her from leaving, blocking her way out.
It was alleged the accused man was yelling at her, "You f**ing dog, c**t, piece of shit, why would you do this to me".
The woman told police she said to Despotovski "kill me now", to which he allegedly replied, "Do you think you're worth doing 25 over?" and "I'll make it look like an accident.... I will get away with it because I am a multimillionaire".
It was alleged the woman tried to signal for help by beating on the front window of the premises, but Despotovski continued to verbally abuse her and headbutted her.
Police attended the residence after a person heard the woman screaming and phoned.
She told them she had been trying to get out "for hours".
Police prosecutor Sergeant Ashley Jacobs opposed Despotovski's release on bail, telling the court he posed an unacceptable risk to his alleged victim.
Sergeant Jacobs submitted it was a strong case against Despotovski, with the alleged incidents reported immediately afterwards and the presence of a witness in the form of the person who called for police.
She said there were no bail conditions that would protect the woman.
Despotovski's defence lawyer, Brendan Green, said his client could live outside Wollongong, abide by a curfew, and put up a surety of $100,000.
He said there could be guilty pleas to some offences, but the charges of choking and detaining for advantage would be defended.
Magistrate Claire Girotto said Despotovski faced a lengthy period of imprisonment if found guilty of the offences.
But she said there were conditions that could mitigate the risk to the alleged victim, and noted Despotovski had no record of violence.
"That is in some ways what's saving him from being refused bail," she said.
Despotovski was released on bail with conditions that included the payment of the $100,000 surety.
He must live with his parents at Albion Park Rail, where he will effectively be under house arrest, and must not go within two kilometres of Wollongong.
His matter will return to court in August.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.