In the end it was a case of three strikes and you're out for Paul Vaughan, the Dragons forward sacked by the club on Tuesday.
The decision was made at an emergency board meeting convened in the fall out to Saturday night's party at the 30-year-old's house.
While the NRL came down hard on the 13 players involved on Monday, the Dragons deemed that was not enough.
For Vaughan, who had already been handed an eight-game ban and $50,000 fine by head office, the club was left with one option.
Tear up his contract.
And that they did, the Dragons explaining two prior indiscretions contributed to the decision.
St George Illawarra chief executive Ryan Webb said it wasn't an easy call, with Vaughan disappointed when the news was broken.
"There was definitely some discussion," Webb said. "You're talking about a guy's career, he's got a family, so there was definitely some fair discussion around the board. It wasn't an easy decision by any means.
"Paul took the news as you'd expect. He took it quite hard and he was probably quite shocked by the news.
"We delivered it as quickly as we could, we didn't want to drag this out. There's still a few pieces to tie up at the back end of all this, that's with Paul now."
The forward broke his silence on Tuesday night, expressing his remorse and a desire to return to the field, while he was emotional during an appearance on TV.
"Firstly I am sorry," Vaughan wrote on Instagram. "My actions were stupid, unexplainable and irresponsible.
"The events that took place over the weekend were thoughtless and disrespectful to not only the game that I love, but to all the sponsors, members and fans as well as the broader community.
"The reality is, I should have known better and I am truly sorry.
"I have let a lot of people down through my actions, and I hope that this sincere apology shows how deeply sorry I am and that I realise the enormity and stupidity of what I have done.
"To say that I have learnt a lesson from this is an understatement. I hope one day in the future, I can get the opportunity to showcase my remorse through better actions on and off the field.
"Again, I apologise to my teammates, the NRL, the club, its members, sponsors and fans, along with all the stakeholders in the game and community."
The 12 other players involved managed to escape further suspensions, however they will be required to pay additional fines, the money to be distributed to local charities, and complete community service.
They will also be required to face the Dragons board in the coming weeks.
For Webb, the punishments are an attempt to rebuild the trust in the community that was lost over the past few days.
"Most of the penalties directed at the players, for us, are about trying to gear that back and compensate the people that are affected by that, so whether that be our sponsors, our members or the community.
"The financial (punishment), anything we gain from that will go back to local charities.
"The club service piece, somehow we'll get these players working or fronting some sponsors or somehow working with members to interact with them and maybe give them some sort of reward to compensate for what they've done and the distrust that they've caused between the club and these stakeholders."
Saturday's incident continued a spate of off-field indiscretions in recent seasons. Corey Norman served a suspension earlier this year while questions were raised about treatment of women following the Jack de Belin sexual assault trials.
Webb disagreed with suggestions the Dragons have a poor culture, however he conceded it's an area that needs to improve.
"I don't think (the club has) got a culture problem, but I don't think the culture's where we want it to be," Webb said.
"In a similar fashion to we looked at where we were on the field with Hook and then we looked at our list and the major move you've got to do to make that better.
"I think we've got to honestly look at our culture and say 'well, we're not where we need to be and how are we going to improve it from here.'
"I don't believe (the club) has a culture problem, but we're a long way from where we want it to be."
Sports reporter at the Canberra Times
Sports reporter at the Canberra Times
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.