ST GEORGE Illawarra's postponed clash with South Sydney will go ahead as part of a Sunday triple-header at Suncorp Stadium after the NRL reached an agreement with the Queensland government amid a snap three-day COVID lockdown.
The Queensland government announced the lockdown of 11 LGA's in Brisbane and surrounds on Wednesday morning following the detection of six cases of the highly contagious COVID Delta Strain.
The Dragons were scheduled to meet the Rabbitohs in Rockhampton in the first of three games scheduled for Saturday that were all postponed in the wake of the announcement.
The Raiders were set to face the Knights ahead of a grand final rematch between the Panthers and Storm at Suncorp Stadium.
All three fixtures will now take place at an empty Suncorp on Sunday, with the Dragons Rabbitohs showdown the third leg of the triple-header starting at 6.25pm.
The Panthers-Storm clash will hold the prime 4pm time slot and be played follow the Raiders-Knights kicking off at 1.50pm.
It sees the Titans-Bulldogs and Sharls Sea Eagles games scheduled for Sunday pushed back to Monday night.
The NRL said all fixtures will be played under the same strict level-four biosecurity protocols that were put in place when the competition returned from a two-month shutdown last season.
Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Peter V'landys AM thanked the Queensland Government.
"Our competition will resume tomorrow with a triple header at Suncorp Stadium, followed by a double header on Monday,'' NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said.
"This will ensure we complete Round 20 and can move to Round 21 as scheduled. I would like to thank the clubs, both players and officials for their flexibility, teamwork and co-operation in adjusting to the new stringent protocols and the revised schedule.
"Our games will be played under the toughest protocols since the competition resumed on May 28 last year. These protocols further minimise the risk of community infection.
"We've proven over the last two years that we can play safely and the additional measures agreed to tonight will further enhance that."
Clubs have been advised that players or officials who make a substantive breach to protocols face being immediately removed from the competition, including being removed from the State for non-Queensland based Clubs.
It comes after Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young gave a flat "no" when asked on Wednesday morning if scheduled NRL games would go ahead during lockdown.
The NRL, and ARLC chairman Peter V'landys, have subsequently satisfied health authorities that games can resume safely without compromising the broader lockdown.
"I want to personally thank Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, State Government officials, and in particular, Dr Jeannette Young for allowing us to present the most stringent biosecurity protocols which when implemented will ensure there is minimal to no risk in allowing our matches to be played with no crowds,'' V'landys said.