Non-urgent elective surgery will be temporarily suspended at private hospitals across Greater Sydney, including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong as staff are redeployed to address the COVID-19 outbreak.
All emergency surgery and urgent elective surgery will continue, but from Monday, August 23, non-urgent elective surgeries will be postponed.
There are 29 affected private hospitals across Greater Sydney and some regional areas, as they send staff to support the vaccination effort and workforce demands in the NSW public health system.
Affected patients will be contacted and are advised to seek medical advice if their condition changes, so they can be reviewed and, if necessary, recategorised.
Private hospitals have also been performing additional elective surgery for patients in the public health system who had their non-urgent operations postponed last year.
"NSW Health acknowledges the critical importance of private hospitals in delivering timely and high-quality care for our communities and we thank them for their ongoing partnership in responding to the current pandemic," the department said in a statement.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The Commonwealth Department of Health has agreed to the temporary suspension of non-urgent elective surgery in order to free up staff.
There are 462 people with COVID-19 in hospital in NSW, aged from their teens to their 80s.
Seventy-seven people are in intensive care and 25 people need ventilation.
Health authorities continue to stress the importance of vaccination in ending the current crisis.
To date, more than 5.3 million vaccine doses have been administered in NSW and Premier Gladys Berejiklian has set a target of six million by the end of the month.
When at least 70 per cent of people are fully vaccinated, the premier says life will be "freer".
The private hospitals are as follows:
- Macquarie University Hospital
- Castlecrag Private Hospital
- Hunters Hill Private Hospital
- Kareena Private Hospital
- North Shore Private Hospital
- St George Private Hospital
- Strathfield Private Hospital
- Warners Bay Private Hospital
- Westmead Private
- Wollongong Private Hospital
- Brisbane Waters Private Hospital
- Dubbo Private Hospital
- Gosford Private Hospital
- Hurstville Private Hospital
- Lingard Private Hospital
- Maitland Private Hospital
- Shellharbour Private Hospital
- Tuggerah Lakes Private Hospital
- Sydney Adventist Hospital
- Campbelltown Private Hospital
- Hunter Valley Private Hospital
- Newcastle Private Hospital
- Norwest Private Hospital
- Prince of Wales Private Hospital
- Sydney Southwest Private Hospital
- Nepean Private Hospital
- Northern Beaches Hospital
- Mater Hospital Sydney
- St Vincent's Private Hospital, Darlinghurst