A marquee has been installed outside Wollongong Hospital's Emergency Department on Darling Street top be used as a temporary triage unit in case of a "potential" surge of COVID cases needing hospitalisation.
"The area is on currently on stand-by and will be activated, if required," the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District said in a statement on Sunday.
"The ISLHD is taking lessons learned from the experience of others " they said. "We are ensuring robust preparedness in all areas, including readiness for significant increases in ED presentations. The installation of this additional clinical area will ensure we continue to remain well prepared to support our community to access safe, quality emergency care in a timely manner."
It comes as Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there could still be outbreaks once the majority of residents have had a double dose of vaccinations.
"We know as soon as we open up, case numbers will increase," Ms Berejiklian said. "A super spreading event or a surge is very easy with [the Delta strain]."
VENUES OF CONCERN
- ALDI Albion Park Rail: September 19, 9am-9.15am; September 20, 6.42pm-6.55pm
- ALDI Warilla: September 16, 12pm-12.30pm
- ANZ Shellharbour: September 22, 12.36pm-12.41pm
- Australia Post Bomaderry: September 20, 1pm-1.30pm
- BlueScope Steel Port Kembla: September 20
- Chickos Wollongong: September 20-22, 8am-3pm
- Country Grocer Unanderra: September 13, 15-18
- Bunnings Bellambi: September 20 from 12.10pm to 12.40pm
- Bunnings Shellharbour: September 18, 1.35pm-2.-5pm; September 20, 6.45pm-7.10pm
- Coles Corrimal: September 19, 10am to 6pm; September 18, 8pm to 11pm; September 10 from 6.10pm to 7.30pm.
- Service NSW Corrimal: September 17, 9am to 9.20am.
- Coles Helensburgh: September 19, 12pm to 12.10pm
- Coles Wollongong: September 21, 1.20pm to 1.45pm.
- Wollongong Medical Centre: September 17, 12pm to 12.45pm.
- Woolworths Wollongong: September 11, 9.40am-10.05am and 12.15pm-12.53pm; September 16, 7.40am-7.50am; September 24, 11.45am-12.30pm
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/case-locations-and-alerts.aspxFor up to date information, please check the official NSW Health website.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.