A proposal for an amusement park at Stanwell Tops has residents of the area quite worried.
A planning proposal has been lodged with Wollongong City Council for "a family-orientated environmental recreation park".
Behind the proposal is Bruce Coleman, whose family has run amusement attractions - including miniature railways at the Royal Easter Show - for more than 50 years.
He and his family want to build the park on property along Lawrence Hargrave Drive at Stanwell Tops.
The proposal outlines the first stage of the development as including a miniature railway running around the edge of the property, children's rides like model cars and airplanes, jumping castles, a giant slide and an adventure playground.
Later stages could include a splash park, rope course, flying foxes, more amusement rides and a bicycle path.
"The Coleman family would like to establish a permanent land base from which to operate their attractions and miniature railways," the planning proposal stated.
"Much of the equipment created over time since the 1940s is currently in storage and under-utilised."
The property is zoned E3 due to its proximity to the Garrawarra State Conservation Area on three sides and an outdoor recreation facility is not allowed under that zoning - the Colemans want an amendment to the zone to allow the park to be constructed.
Residents are far from happy about the proposal, with a number already voicing their objections via letter to council.
Neighbourhood Forum 1 convenor Warwick Erwin said they were worried about the possible alteration of the zoning and the effect of wastewater from the development on the site as well as the likely increase in traffic.
"During the week it's not bad, except for summer holidays," Mr Erwin said.
"Going east Lawrence Hargrave Drive gets banked up from Bald Hill all the way back to Symbio."
There are also concerns that some of the work - including laying down tracks - has already taken place.
The Mercury understands council officers visited the site on Friday and ordered that the tracks be removed.
A council spokeswoman said no development application had been lodged for the park and no decision had been on progressing the proposal.
"Council will consider a report on the proposal in early 2022 and, if it decides to support the draft planning proposal moving forward, the process will include a formal statutory exhibition that will provide further opportunity for nearby residents and the broader community to provide feedback."
The Illawarra Mercury newsroom is funded by our readers. You can subscribe to support our journalism here.
Sign up for breaking news emails below ...